21/08/2013

DLL File

Definition: A DLL file, short for Dynamic Link Library, is a type of file that contains instructions that other programs can call upon to do certain things. This way, multiple programs can share the abilities programmed into a single file. For example, several different programs might all call upon the veryuseful.dll file (I made that up, of course) to find the free space on a hard drive, locate a file in a particular directory, and print a test page to the default printer.
Dynamic Link Libraries end in the file extension DLL. For example, a DLL file that often causes problems is the hal.dll file.
Also Known As: Dynamic Link Library
 
Examples:
"I received an error message when my computer started up that said I was missing a particular DLL file. After an exhaustive search on the Internet, I found out that I would have to reinstall Windows to fix it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

10 Awesome Widgets to Try on Your Android Phone.

One way Android remains unique from other popular mobile phone operating systems is its embrace of app widgets. Widgets on your home screen...